Porsche 996 - Replacing Starter Alternator Y-Cable (996-607-019-01-M100) without moving Alternator or AC pump - Attacking a warm start issue

996-607-019-01-M100

Nearly all the posts I've read about replacing the Y-Cable on my Porsche 996 indicated that you had to remove the alternator.  I found I didn't.  Here is a diagram showing how I did this part of the task.  Hope it helps someone!




Some background:
I've been tracking down a hot start issue with my 2000 Porsche 996.... when the car is cold, it fires right up.   When it is warm, it acts like there is a low battery or something.  At this point, I've replaced the battery and installed a new fuel filter (had read some cars have similar issue when a fuel filter is dirty).  Neither have solved the issue.  I'm now going after the y-cable (996-607-019-01-M100) as that seems to be a common cause (happens in 997s as well from what I can read) of the same symptoms. Over time, this cable corrodes inside and makes the cable more subject to heat impedance issues.

After reading a ton of different articles and posts by others on how to replace this power cable, I had come to the conclusion that I could do this.  Further, while so many others pulled out the AC pump and/or the Alternator, I thought that I could do it without moving these items at all. I had read in the text of one guys post that he said he was able to do it this way (and he credited his knowledge of how the back of the alternator is configured as to what made this approach possible).

I've successfully installed a new y-cable!  And I did not have to unbolt or loosen either the AC pump or the Alternator

Hopefully my warm start issues go away! I won't know for a few days because I found some other issues while doing this that I want to address and I'm currently waiting on some parts (accessory drive belt, etc.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ford Van Door Wont Open Fix - Rubber/plastic cable end pieces broken - E150/250/350 econoline

What's Big Bald Bills DIY blog about?